About the organization
War Child is an international child rights organization. We are committed to protecting and supporting children affected by armed conflict. We empower them to claim their rights, develop to their full potential and contribute to a peaceful future for themselves and their communities. Together we help children and young people make their voices heard. At the moment War Child is working in close to 20 different countries worldwide. The organization is recognized for its excellence in regard to combining an active research agenda with method development.
Together we take the war out of the child.
The Stockholm office was set up in 2016 and is covering the Nordics and the Baltic states. Besides the support to our global program we also focus on psychosocial support to newly arrived youth, in a way to ease their integration into Swedish society. Currently we have two projects based in Södertälje and are looking to scale up the work.
The team at the office in Stockholm consists of six dedicated and specialized people. As a decentralized organization the team maintains close links with the headquarters in Amsterdam as well as the offices spread around the world.
No child should be part of war. Ever.
The intern will belong to the team relating to the international work of War Child, together with the Managing Director, the International Program Director and the Program related staff. War Child is currently stepping up its operations in the Nordic context.
In concrete terms this means:
- Actively participate in grants seeking and monitoring of the implementation of current grants.
- Contribute to the development of the recently added fast-flex component of War Child International, including Covid -19 response
- Liaise with the global gender specialist and urban violence specialist, both at the Amsterdam office, in order to build capacity on gender sensitive programming and prevention of armed violence in urban settings
The Managing Director of War Child Sweden will be the mentor of the intern. The working language is English.
- Knowledge about international development cooperation, humanitarian action and the impact of violent conflict on programming and M&E.
- Interest in Child Rights matters, with special emphasis on children in armed conflict.
- Knowledge of the role of civil society and to work with a Civil Society Organisation/partner organisations.
- Interest/knowledge related to the countries/regions in which War Child is operating (see warchild.org). Special emphasis on the three regions/countries in which War Child Sweden has most of its current partnerships (Middle East, Uganda and Colombia)
- Ability to communicate in English/excellent writing skills, as English is the working language of the Stockholm office.
- Country knowledge related to the geographic areas in which War Child is active (see warchild.org)
- Language skills related to these countries/areas (primarily Arabic, French, Spanish)
- Experience from Child Rights matters
- War Child is using unconventional methods like music and art in our dialogue with the affected children. Experience from how to use these artistic forms of communication is an extra asset.
The War Child Sweden office is located in a 17th Century building in Gamla Stan (old town) in the very centre of Stockholm.
There may also be the opportunity to do part of the internship at the War Child office in Amsterdam, which is much larger, with some hundred employees.