About the organization
The Parliamentary Forum on Small Arms and Light Weapons (the Forum) is the only membership-based organisation gathering parliamentarians globally across party-political lines, specifically related to the prevention and reduction of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) – related violence.
The Theory of Change of the Forum is to contribute to the achievement of more peaceful and sustainably developed societies by enhancing parliamentary action in the implementation and universalisation of international frameworks relevant to the prevention and reduction of SALW- related violence through capacity-building, policy-shaping and awareness-raising. Relevant international frameworks in the work include the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), the United Nations Programme of Action, to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons (UN PoA) and the 2030 Agenda. The gender equality perspective is a priority.
The uncontrolled proliferation of SALW has widespread human, economic and social costs and impedes human security and sustainable development. The Forum was founded in 2002 in the Spanish Congress, based on an initiative from Latin American, Swedish and Spanish parliamentarians and gathers currently over 300 parliamentarians from 100 countries.
The internship position provides an opportunity to actively apply and develop previous knowledge within the field of peace and conflict in connection to sustainable development. As intern you will work closely with the staff at the Secretariat as an important member of the team. The work language is English. The intern will get insight in a broad variety of tasks, projects and network in the international work to prevent and reduce the uncontrolled proliferation f Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) Own initiatives are encouraged based on previous experiences, knowledge and interest.
Work tasks include:
- Preparing policy- and background material for capacity-building and awareness-raising activities; donor applications and reports.
- Contribute to external communication work and contacts with the members of the Forum and in relation to partners globally.
- Support members of the Forum in coordination and practical tasks in relation to activities and in contexts where the Forum is represented.
- Contribute to represent the Forum in relevant external contexts and meetings.
- Support in other tasks as relevant and needed.
- Studies in political science, international relations, peace- and conflict, global development, economy or/and law.
- Knowledge of and interest for international security policy.
- Knowledge of and interest for awareness-raising work, communication and/or public opinion, including social media.
- Language skills besides English, preferably French or Spanish.
- Experience from living, studying or working in a developing country and/or a post-conflict or conflict country.
- Intercultural competence.
How the internship is related to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
As the Forum is gathering parliamentarians globally across party-political lines for the prevention and reduction of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) – related violence for more peaceful and sustainably developd societies, focus is primarily on SDG 16.4: ”by 2030 significantly reduce illicit financial and arms flows,..”. The work also relates to SDG 5, as the gender equality perspective is an overall priority of the organisation, as well as SDG 17 as the work is realised by a multi-stake holder approach with close collaboration with various partners globally.
Som praktikant på Parliamentary Forum on Small Arms and Light Weapons (PFSALW), så kommer du direkt att få arbeta med de här globala målen: