About the organisation
The overall objective for the International Centre for Local Democracy is to promote the development of sustainable local democracy in low and middle-income countries. This contributes to a fair and sustainable global development and creates the conditions for vulnerable people to improve their living conditions. ICLD’s work has an important role to fill within the framework of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by strengthening local governments to fulfill the goals in a democratic and inclusive manner. We strengthen local governments’ capacity to analyse, prioritize and implement Agenda 2030 in accordance with their own resources and needs. When it comes to local democracy, local self-governance and decentralisation, ICLD serves as an initiator of new research and knowledge generation as well as a link to existing knowledge and expertise. ICLD’s operations cover three principal areas: The Knowledge Centre, Municipal Partnership Programmes and International Training Programmes. For more information see https://icld.se/en/this-is-icld.
The goal of the internship is that interns gain an increased understanding of Swedish international development cooperation and increased knowledge about local democracy development. Tasks may include:
- Collecting, organising and disseminating “best cases” and learning outcomes from our International Training Programmes or Municipal Partnership Programme
- Helping the Knowledge Centre to collect knowledge from ICLD’s work in different low- and middle-income countries, doing literature reviews, case studies or country analyses
- Helping in the organisation of different workshops and training events
- Creating content for website and updating social media
Interns are expected to act as part of the team and participate in our daily activities, as well as to develop a small project relevant to their studies. Interns are encouraged to contribute to ICLD’s work with their lived or academic experiences and knowledge. The work requires that you have good analytical skills, can work independently and can prioritise and structure your work. During the internship you will gain insight into and knowledge of Sweden’s development cooperation, international collaboration and knowledge sharing within local democracy and municipal partnerships for mutual learning.
- Be enrolled in a Master programme at a Swedish university (or newly graduated) dealing with issues relevant to development at the local level. It can be in the areas of global studies, political science, sustainability, international development, human rights, sociology or other social sciences.
- Be interested in or have knowledge of Sweden’s development cooperation and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Be interested in and have some knowledge about the role of local governments in development.
- Have good knowledge of Swedish and English, written and spoken. Interns are expected to be able to write, discuss, and make presentations in Swedish, so they need to have a high level of fluency in the language.
- Have good computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office and web tools.
- Be able to assess, manage and structure information.
- Be able to work with diversity and in a multicultural environment and can show sensitivity. and respect regardless of culture, gender, religion, race, nationality, sexual orientation and age.
- Interest and preferably experience of work on communication and social media
- Interest in writing, photography and/or filming
- Knowledge of languages or experience from one of ICLD’s partner countries
The intern will be co-supervised by the Research Director and the person designated by the director of the Municipal Partnership Programmes, the Knowledge Centre or the International Training Programmes. The intern will be provided a workstation at ICLD’s headquarters in Visby, Gotland. ICLD can reimburse two return tickets by boat to Visby.